Single malt Scotch whisky Glenfiddich has been honoured with an unrivalled ten medals at the Scotch Whisky Masters 2012. Sweeping the board in the single malt Scotch whisky category and resoundingly outperforming its competitors, the awards cement Glenfiddich’s malt credentials as the world’s favourite whisky.
Published in the May edition of The Spirits Business, the awards mark a huge achievement for Glenfiddich. Almost 150 whiskies were entered into the Masters judging, which took place at the Cinnamon Kitchen in London, with the judging panel including whisky experts from across the globe.
A total of 32 whiskies were awarded in the Speyside Single Malt category, however, Glenfiddich’s win was significantly more than any other distillery. The closest competition came from Glenfiddich’s sister brand The Balvenie, which was awarded six medals. The Glenfiddich Distillery Edition 15 Year Old, which stood out as a truly exquisite example of whisky-making, was awarded the highly coveted Master’s Award. Seven other Glenfiddich single malts were awarded Gold awards, highlighting the whisky company’s commitment to the single malt Scotch whisky category.
Chair of the judging panel and whisky editor of The Spirits Business, Dominic Roskrow, said: “The group was very versatile and dynamic – there were a lot of young judges with fresh palates and ideas, and I feel we got some really valuable feedback on what was an astoundingly good selection of whiskies. When judged on their individual merits, the whiskies were worthy of top honours.”
Brian Kinsman, Glenfiddich’s Malt Master, added: “These prestigious awards are an honour, but also prove the lengths we go to at Glenfiddich to fulfil the vision of our founder, William Grant, who set out to create the ‘the best dram in the valley’ 125 years ago.”
Glenfiddich awards at the Scotch Whisky Masters awards 2012 include:
• Master, Speyside up to 18: Glenfiddich Distillery Edition 15 Year Old
• Gold, Speyside up to 18: Glenfiddich Rich Oak & Glenfiddich 15 Year Old
• Gold, Speyside up to 25: Glenfiddich 21 Year Old & Glenfiddich Age of Discovery Bourbon Cask
• Gold, Speyside over 25: Glenfiddich 30 Year Old and Glenfiddich 40 Year Old
• Gold, Speyside special editions: Glenfiddich Malt Master’s Edition
• Silver, Speyside up to 18: Glenfiddich 18 Year Old
• Silver, Speyside up to 25: Glenfiddich Age of Discovery Madeira Cask